Monday, March 31, 2008

This posting is rated PG-13!

So, guess what? I forgot to tell you that we broke the news to T1 over Easter weekend that the Easter bunny isn't real. He was really concerned that the Easter bunny wasn't going to find him at our camp site and then he caught me making his Easter basket. After he mulled it over a few minutes, he asked the inevitable.... is Santa real? I tried to keep a straight face and avoid the question, but the charade didn't last long before he realized Santa wasn't real. He spent the next several minutes thinking about all the falsehoods of Santa:

"So, you eat the cookies and drink the milk I leave out every year?"

"The Santa tracker that Marcus showed me is fake?"

"You stuff my stocking and buy my Santa gifts?"

"You wrote the note that Santa gave me?"

"Dad was the one who set up the ladder to the rooftop when we didn't have a chimney?"

And so on... It was sad. While he was digesting this information, he inquired about the tooth fairy. Once again, we were honest. He really seemed sad. We went for a walk by ourselves later that day and I asked him how he felt. He replied that he was a little sad, but said he prefers knowing the truth. Later that same night, he was playing with a couple of 5th graders from the camp site adjacent to ours and the subject of the Easter bunny came up. One of the boys said he still believed in the Easter bunny and T1 and the other boy swapped knowing glances but didn't reveal anything to the contrary. If you have children that T1 plays with, don't worry, he's promised not to reveal the truth to anyone.

There are sentimental moments when it occurs to me just how fast my baby is growing up and this was definitely one of those times. (It also hits me is when he forgets to wear deodorant!) :)

2 comments:

mp said...

as i was reading this i was thinking "great, now he's going to tell T&M" but then I saw his promise to you :)

The Sarria Household said...

I remember the day I found out Santa wasn't real. I was so messed up over the situation. I was angry and sad. So my Dad tried to make me feel better by telling me the story of how St. Nick was a real person and Santa keeps the tradition alive.

It made me feel better so maybe this year around Christmas when Tyler starts thinking about it, you can tell him the story of St. Nick!!