Monday, August 24, 2009

Middle School Mania

After all the anxiety we had about beginning middle school, T1 came running to my car after school today exclaiming "It was awesome, Mom!". In an instant, I was tremendously relieved! You see I had reflected back to the things I was exposed to in middle school and had prepared for today by talking with T1 about gangs, bullies, cussing, smoking, etc., but when I pulled up to school this afternoon all the kids looked quasi-normal. Unlike my middle school days, there were no gang members, no headbangers, no outwardly deviant personalities. It looked like a sea of good natured, happy kids. Now, I'm no fool...I know the school isn't full of a bunch of angels, but I'm relieved to find it's not full of a bunch of devils either.

So, what did T1 think was awesome about today? T1 loved the freedom of not walking in lines in the hallways and eating wherever you want in the cafeteria. He had a blast with all of his friends from last year and he saw a bunch of pretty girls in the hallways. Also, math teacher aside, T1 thought all of his teachers are really nice. He's psyched that he has his lock "down", to which Matt and I said "Down? Huh?"... He meant he can use the lock on his locker with ease -- he's an expert! Whew, I was worried about that. Not. He starts his day with band and PE, after which he has lunch at 10:30 followed by 5 classes. He knows how to get to each of his classes and has figured out when he has time to go to his locker between classes. At this point, he's completely enamored with middle school. Matt and I are so happy about this, but wonder how long it will last. I took T1 to and from school today, but tomorrow he's going to ride the bus home, so his infatuation with middle school may soon come to an end. I'll keep you posted.

Here's a picture of T1 and Matt before school this morning:

2 comments:

mp said...

whew, thanks goodness. I have been meaning to email you and ask about him. I'm so glad to hear the good news!

mp said...

p.s tanner eats lunch at 12:45, sooo late! poor girl is probably starving by then.