Monday, November 29, 2010

Happy Holidays!

I love this time of year! The season has been packed with festivities! I know it's late, but we had a great Halloween this year! The day before Halloween we went to the pumpkin patch and took pictures with Cerenity, Bailey, and the boys. On the evening of Halloween, we decided to head over to Grandma Sara and Grandpa Marcus's house for the good company and trick-or-treating in their flat neighborhood (unlike ours). MamMa and Nana came by for a little bit to see the crew in their costumes and Lisa and Jared brought baby Bailey over for her first Halloween. We FINALLY convinced T1 he was too old to go trick-or-treating, so he decided to wear a wig of dread locks and hand out candy. T2 dressed up as a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle and T3 was a train conductor. They had a blast trick-or-treating and hanging out in front of Grandma Sara's afterwards. Here are a few pictures. Notice Grandma Sara and Grandpa Marcus were good sports and dressed up in costumes this year. Fun!
Check Spelling

Shortly after Halloween, we celebrated Wurstfest with family, friends, and soccer players. We ran the Wurst 5-miler, enjoyed German music and dancing, indulged in some Dunkel, ate pork chops-on-a-stick and bread pudding, rode carnival rides, and managed to sell a few sodas and roasted corns. We were there three times over the course of one weekend and, although we were exhausted when all was said and done, we're already looking forward to doing it again in 2011.

It's fall, so of course it's football season. Lucky for T1 and I, we were able to go to a UT home game a few weeks ago. A friend of mine gave me an awesome parking pass and great tickets to the game. T1 and I had a blast! That evening, dad and T1 went to see the new Harry Potter movie. T1 was extremely excited about that! What a lucky boy!

Last weekend was Thanksgiving and we had a nice time with family. We started the day participating in a Turkey Trot. T1 and I ran the 5K (T1 ran in 24:08 and I ran in a little over 26 minutes), and Matt, T2 and T3 ran the 1K and chased the turkey. The little ones had a blast, both exclaiming they won the race (neither did, but they both ran awesome!). It was a good time, and something I hope to do every year. We went home to clean up and then spent the day at Grandma Sara and Grandpa Marcus's, first eating dinner with Nana and then enjoying desert with Lisa, Jared, Bailey, Adam, Marie, Tanner, Matthew, and Morgan. The food was plentiful and delicious and the kids had a blast running around, screaming, playing, and sneaking many more deserts than is reasonable (even for Thanksgiving). It was very loud and chaotic at times, but the kids were loving it! If they're happy (and, in this case, if Grandma is cool with it), then I'm happy.

The day after Thanksgiving we decorated our Christmas tree, set out Christmas decorations, and hung Christmas lights outside. That day is quite possibly my favorite day of the year. I absolutely look forward to and love getting out all of those boxes, unwrapping the Christmas ornaments, and listening to Christmas music as we get everything set up. The kids love it also. T2 and T3 said "this is the best Christmas ever" several times throughout the day. We started decorating before 8:00 a.m. and continued past 5:00 that evening. It was a perfect day! The next evening we invited the Carltons, Parkers, and Deans over for pizza. The big kids decorated a gingerbread house and all the kids decorated gingerbread cookies. Tanner and Matthew stayed the night that evening and kept Matt up late talking about everything from shooting people (cop talk) and farting (Matt talk). They revealed the next morning that they were somewhat interested in the conversation, but were really just trying to stay up late. I had already crashed by that time, but I know Matt (the energizer bunny) enjoyed every long-winded moment!


So now we look ahead to Christmas! We've caved to daily Christmas music, shopping has begun, and we're looking forward some time off from work to celebrate with our family. The little ones are so excited and are wearing their Santa hats every day. I know it's sort of early, but T3 has been wearing a Christmas Thomas the Train shirt since late October, so it's never too early for him! I let them wear their Santa hats to school this morning and their friends were so excited when they walked into their classrooms. Such cutie pies!

No comments: